Sunday 13 November 2011

Sunday Ride - Aka Block

The Kapiti Cycling Club met as usual at Coastlands on a lovely spring morning. There were only six of us today with others involved in a race. It was decided that our group would take on the Aka 100k Block.

Our course involved lots of hills and today I had a new member of the club, Todd and a visitor from Wellington, Julian to work with on the hill climb sections of the Paekakariki Hills, the Haywoods and the Akatarawas.

This course is quite challenging in places. It is one of my favourite rides due to the hills, the scenery and the places it takes us. The ride goes through Paekakariki, Pauatahanui, Upper Hutt, Reikorangi, Waikanae and returning along SH1 to Paraparaumu.

I was most satisfied to get back home in good shape as I haven't done many long rides over the last 2 months.

Here are some pictures of how my cycle ride looked today.

Coastlands Start



Paekakariki Township



Paekakariki Road after reaching top


Blurry Kapiti Island


Pauatahanui


Top of Haywoods


Upper Hutt turn off to Akatarawas and Waikanae


Akatarawa Summit


Reikorangi Valley


Reikorangi Church


Ready for a short burst home along SH1


For those interested it took 3 hours 50 minutes to complete the ride. A more than respectable time but importantly a most enjoyable ride.


6 comments:

LatteJunkie said...

That's amazing! I have just shared it with my BIL as inspiration for his holiday here next year. He's a serious road cyclist too :D

Ellie said...

What beautiful views you have there. Mind you hill looks HARD work, I felt exhausted just looking at it. Well done I'm glad you enjoyed it.

john bain said...

Beautiful views Paul. Takes me all my time to cycle a mile to the shops these days, on my old boneshaker.

Lea said...

Great photos! I can see why you enjoy doing what you are doing, but I won't be able to cycle those kind of routes as fast as you do - they'd have to measure me in days... The hills looked like hard work!!!!

Cenandra said...

Those were some huge hills you went up!! I am glad you enjoy biking so much, its so wonderful to see so many beautiful things. Too tough for me though. :)

Victor e suas opiniƵes said...

Beautiful photos Mr. Paul! :)