Monday 21 November 2011

A Running Mate's 50th

Having been there a couple of years ago myself I felt I should offer a running mate commiserations on having reached this less than honourable milestone.

Although getting older for most has rather negative connotations for the runner it takes on special significance. Every 5 years we are reborn into a new racing age category where we no longer have to worry about younger and faster runners. Our prime focus is beating those in our age group and it's an extra bonus if we manage to take out some younger runners in the process.

Liam Healey has been a stalwart for Wellington Harriers and indeed Wellington Province for several decades and actually began competing when he was a young fella. He has represented the province numerously and won regional and national medals. Liam has also competed admirably at an international level. I had the good fortune of running with him at the Mt Kinabalu Climbathon in the 90's which was a run that took us from 2000 metres [over 1 mile] altitude up to 4000 metres [2 and a half miles] and back down. A particularly gruelling event. Such is the competitive nature of Liam that he needed oxygen at the finish line having completely spent himself.

Anyway back to the party. I felt priveleged to be invited to this auspicious occasion and celebrate his joining my age group. I know I will have to remain vigilant in my preparations for next year's harriers as I'm sure there will be even more friendly rivalry between us. Liam, welcome to the 50's club. Roll on the National Road Relays in Nelson 2012!

Here are some of the highlights of Saturday evening.


Birthday Boy

Super Characters

This food is sure good

This is doing nothing for my waist line


Time for some fireworks



Happy Birthday to you


3 comments:

Lea said...

What or who did you dress up as? Were you actually dressed up on the train? Looks like it was a lot of fun!

Ellie said...

Happy Birthday to your running buddy. Looks as if a good time was had by all.

john bain said...

Honestly you youngsters. You do know how to enjoy yourselves.