Tuesday 1 November 2011

Our Mum

Sadly our mum died at the far too young age of 52. I didn't realise at the time how young that was. Now I am of that age I feel I have a lot more of life to live and think about what she missed out on..

Our mum never kept well and suffered depression most of her adult life. As a child she could never please her dad. Her efforts were never good enough. I recall her telling us of her dad exclaiming 'bl_ _ _ y merit again after a musin exam when she was in her teens.

When mum married dad she was told that he was the best she could expect and that he was her salvation. An ominous start to a relationship. Although it was a struggle between mum and dad they did the best they could with us and I believe their love for us is reflected in the empathy we have for others.


Mum in happier days

Due to mum's ill health and problems with her weight and issues that caused, the burden was on the rest of the family to keep the household going. Mum did her best to look after us but a lot of the time she had difficulty looking after her self.

I am truly grateful to mum for the opportunities given to me in music that have made me who I am today. I thank mum for being there when we needed to talk about any problems or situations in our lives. I remember when mum was dying and I was going through some emotional battles she was still there for me as I tried to be for her.

What are your memories of your mum or what special moments / bonds do you share?

My memories are reflected in her singing Euridice Click here to listen and my tributes I wrote for her called Peace in Sleep Click here to listen and Passing Time Away Click here to listen

6 comments:

blackhuff said...

Such a beautiful photo of your mom. Thanks for sharing some memories of your mom with us.
My mom is now 57 years old. She is the most wonderful person and I have so many memories of her. The ones I have surround around the fact that she was a SAHM with us and that was the most wonderful years ever. Those memories I will never forget.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I am so sorry about your Mom that is very young. That is a nice tribute to her.
I grew up in a house of 10 kids and a Mom and Dad it was very crowded my Mom was always tired and I was the oldest. Sometimes we did not get along but I remember the good times and try to forget the bad. I am just so happy my Mom is still here and I can relive the special without the not so special butting in. Take care.B

john bain said...

I didn't spend much of my childhood with my Mum. Not her fault I realise now. We never can be sure what life will throw at us. We just have to do the best we can. For ourselves and for others.

Lea said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Paul. Sounds like your mum had it really tough at times. You wrote a beautiful tribute to her and it sounds as if you and her were fairly close. I really like your songs!

I don't see my mum very often, but hopefully soon she'll be able to move here. I would say we are really close. She was a single parent from when I was about 7 or 8 so we only had each other and she worked so hard for us. I'm sure there were many really difficult days for her, but she taught us so much about values, about working hard to achieve our goals, about life - I learned a lot from my mum.

Anonymous said...

hi its anya and alisha I am so sorry I love you as a teacher :} smily face heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. hi cass :}

Anonymous said...

Hi it is Kennedy, I feel bad about your mum but I thought your mum would be a nice person. On the bright side you are a great techer.