Thursday 21 June 2012

Day-Tight Compartments

I am my worst enemy or more accurately worrying is!

Lea and I share a saying Not Too Much Thinking and she suggested I read a book by Dale Carnegie called Pathways To Success.

Last night about 2 a.m on one of my regular night wake ups I opened up the chapter called Fundamental Facts You Should Know About Worry

There were some wonderful life-saving words of advice that I intend to take with me through today and every day of my life. Hope I can keep up this promise to myself to change my way of thinking so that every day is a gift and a blessing to live in.


Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what lies clearly at hand
- Thomas Carlyle

Shut off the future as tightly as the past....The future is today...There is no tomorrow

Give us this day our daily bread
- Someone famous 2000 years ago

One grain of sand at a time...one task at a time
- a day passing as sand through an hour glass

Every day is a new life to a wise man

Anyone can carry his burden, however hard, for one day...Anyone can live sweetly, patiently, lovingly, purely, till the sun goes down. And this is all that life really means.
- Robert Louis Stevenson

Happy the man and happy he alone
He who can call today his own
He who secure within can say
Tomorrow do thy worst for I have lived today
- Roman poet Horace [30 years before the birth of Christ]

Think that this day will never dawn again. Today is our most precious possession. It is our only sure possession.
- Dante

For yesterday is but a dream
And tomorrow is only a vision
But today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness
And every tomorrow a vision of hope
Look well, therefore to this day!
Such is the salutation to the dawn
- Famous Indian dramatist, Kalidasa


Hope the above words help some one today as they have helped me to look differently at my life and the gift that has been given to me.


Here is my contribution to the thoughts of the day through one of my earliest songs called Chasing Rainbows.

Chasing Rainbows smell the roses...searching for my 4 leaved clover

Hope you like the lyrics of this song as I feel I have written some thoughtful and reflective poetry!




4 comments:

Lea said...

A very thought-provoking post! I'm glad you are reading the book - it is one of the best books I ever read. Love your song and it has great lyrics!

Ellie said...

I know what you mean Paul. Danny says to me that I'm never happy unless I am worrying about something.
You have got some great quotes there - I'll try to remember them. :))

john bain said...

That is lots of different ways of saying, live your life one day at a time. I never knew until quite recently, that even the Holy Bible suggests we do this. The saying is, 'sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'. I haven't got religious, but it makes good sense to me.
Mind you, human nature being what it is, we'll all find something to worry about!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Hi Paul I am a worrier too over these last few years I have looked back and seen the things that I have worried about turn out just fine over and over again. I have come to the conclusion the debilitating worry that I went through turned out to be a big waste of time.
I have been trying to keep that fact in mind it is tough but it is working. I am a little older than you so that may be helping too. B